Thursday, October 28, 2010

Fly Ash in Asphalt

The article I read this week was about utilizing a by product of coal known as fly ash to help strengthen ashpalt.  Through the extensive research done in labs and on actual stretches of roads, the conclusion was that fly ash is a very good filler for ashpalt as well as being a recycled material.  The asphalt samples were put through a number of fatigue tests at different levels of fly ash being used and different types of fly ash as well.

I found this particularly interesting because I did this exact same experiment last year in one of my classes.  Clemson has an advanced asphalt and pavement design facility known as ARTS.  This is good to see how actual class work can indeed relate to the real world and create jobs as well.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know anything about asphalt, but it seems that this product is really awesome because it seems that every time DOT fills hole in the road it seems to last maybe 6 months (or at least that's what it seems to me) and then the hole is back. Hopefully they'll use this new technique to start filling those holes because every time I hit one of those I wish they would do something else since obviously the method they use now isn't very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also took a class that went out the ARTS facility for a lab. Even though alot of research is going into asphalt design, I personally think that concrete is a better way to go. For example, the new section of 385 that was just redone. Concrete makes for a very smooth ride and can last twice as long as asphalt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea about the ARTS facility nor the fact that Clemson excelled in the area of asphalt, but I am very proud to read that we do! I love learning about Clemson successes, as it makes me take even more pride in our university. It is even more rewarding when you are learning about something hands on and then you read about the real world incorporating that idea. Knowing that what you are learning is applicable to real life is such a gratifying feeling as often school can feel like a world of jumping through ambiguous hoops.
    Also, this new technique will help preserve roads longer which means better use of tax dollars and less wear and tear on our cars! I'm all for it!

    ReplyDelete